Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Radio Made Me Gay


Over the last year, myself, Tara, Aaron & Greg have been trying to promote a web-site of ours through a number of night around Dublin and after the first year, all I have to say is, that in this time in our economic climate, to get people up, out and into your night is not as easy as it looks. Trying to fill places on a week day is nearly impossible. People are just not going out anymore, except . . . . . Gays.

I randomly went out with a load of people from the panto last night, a Tuesday, to go to the Break for the Border Gay Night, Glitz, which has been running for years and if I were to say the place was rammed, it would be an understatement. It is the way forward. I’m defo gonna try an look into throwing a gay night somewhere. A gay night with decent gay music. That is one of the big problems with gay bars, the music is shite. And I know what everyone is saying, (Everyone, I’ve got some cheek. You would swear hundreds of people are reading this crap) that this is gay music – Britney, Christina, Kyle, Cheryl etc but I think that is bullshit and let me tell you why.

When the show came down we all chilled in the green room for a few before heading out and all it was playing on the stereo was all that poppy crap and people weren't even listening to it. On my way back from the jacks, I thought to myself, I'll just plug in my laptop into the sound system and throw on some disco mix that Aaron had thrown together last week. It kicked in and literally the room went off. People dancing on couches, this is not an exaggeration. They were loving it and they had never heard it before.

Of course, if you were to throw a gay night, you would have to play some cheesey pop tunes to begin with, slowly bring in the good stuff, earn the love but once they think you’re fabulous, you could start lashing out some savage shit and if you’re lucky you might even get a mouth full of meat. Also the place would be jammers, any day of the week you fancy throwing it. I can just see Aaron Dempsey, Dave MacDonagh & Russell Simmons lifting weights in the DJ booth, camping it up to the max,

I will throw this night, and I am gonna forget about these bull shit straight nights.

Also there would be very little chin scratching at these things, no nerdy chatter about labels and equipment. It would just be a load of funky fuckers madge out of it, dancing away and trying their best to reach for the lasers.

I can’t wait - Radiomade Me Gay - I can see it now

2 comments:

  1. The pink dollar Jacko, invest in it. Allthough I do know a certain gay man who only ever had 2 posters on his wall. Both Tupac, topless but Tupac none the less.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea Jacko, always wanted to play at a good gay night. Give me a shout if you actually want to make this happen

    ReplyDelete