Friday, March 11, 2011

The Summer is Nigh

You know the summer is coming when you hear the Electric Picnic line-up being announced, the summer is on its way and I cannot wait. Even when I look out my balcony window now, it is pissing from the heavens, I haven't seen rain quite like it in 2011 as of yet. It is what my grandfather would of called 'very wet rain'.

'Jaysus, that’s shockin wet rain, that is. I'm tellin ye, you'd get awful wet in that.'

But my point is, rain or no fucking rain, the summer is coming, and it will be here before we know it. It will be savage.

The 2 moments, I believe, that are synonymous with the coming of the summer are, they're not the tweeting of the birds or the warm breeze in your face. They are the Paddy's Day session in the Bernard Shaw and the announcement of the Electric Picnic line-up. Do you think they come within a week of each other for the good of their health, bollix, they kick it off like a motherfucker, they get everybody pepped for the next 6 months unadulterated fun. Let's go!

Electric Picnic 2011 from Electric Picnic on Vimeo.


I have to say the line-up for this year's Picnic has not captured my imagination. If I'm gonna be honest, it hasn't for the last few years, okay, Leftfield was ridicules last year but since 2007, the Picnic line-up hasn't been blowing me away, but who gives a bollix, when it comes down to it, it's very rarely about the line-up but were gonna talk about it anyway

Let’s look at the line-up

The main headliners -

Arcade Fire - the more commercial act of the lot, they won a shit load of awards and had a massive album, lots of cullchies will love this addition to the line-up. I think the last time they were at the Picnic it was the second one, back in 2005 and they were . . . . . . . pleasant.

Pulp - The usual nostalgic act that always finds itself on the Picnic line-up, I love Pulp and I cannot wait to see this show. It will be like going to see the Pet Shop Boys a few years ago, everyone knows the tunes, everyone singing the tunes, it will be a buzz.

The Chemical Brothers - I don't know what it is about the Chemical Brothers but even though they have only played the Picnic the once, it seems like they play it every year, if that makes sense. They will be good, they always are.

Interpol - Never really gave this band a chance and I probably never will, I couldn't give a bollix about them.

PJ Harvey - Okay, if I told you that there was a chance of me checking out PJ Harvey whenever she is on on the weekend, I would probably be lying to you. Not an act to be sticking in the headliners list.

Beirut - Again, this is an act, I have yet to consider, I haven't given them the time of day, but if someone was going to them over the weekend, I’d probably join them. I hope to get to know more over the coming months.

Other big acts -

DJ Shadow - Sometimes I feel Hip-Hop finds it hard to fit in or have an impact at a festival. Saying that J-5 were unreal at the first Picnic - Bring Back J-5 - but I went to see DJ Shadow twice over my years at the Picnic and both times, I felt bored shitless to be perfectly honest. I probably won't be attending this on the weekend.

The Charlatans - This band, and I know a lot of people disagree with me, I think are sweet, they have a fuck load of tunes I love, I've never seen them before and a bit of Brit Pop at a festival never hurt anyone. Pulp aren't enough. I will be here 100%


Sinead O'Connor - If I'm not mistaken, she is like Mundy, she plays pretty much every year and I always miss the baldy bitch. I always threaten to check her out, just out of curiosity but I never get around to it. I'm probably too busy getting cosmic at the Bacardi Bar. Will probably miss it again this year for similar reasons but if I so happened to be walking by, I might pop in.

Death in Vagas - I love this act and I've never got the chance to see them, I have been listening to The Contino Sessions & Scorpio Rising for years and I can’t wait to check them out live. I hope they are on early in the day but either way I'll be giving them a gander


Boyz Noize - Depends how I’m feeling, it's been a while. Last time I saw Boyz Noize was at the 2007 Trinity Ball and to say we were reaching for the lasers would be an understatement, good buzz, if I haven't worn myself to a thread by the time they are on.

Paul Kalkbrenner - The highlight of the weekend for me, I cannot wait to see this cunt. He is fucking savage, I got into him after seeing a film that he wrote, directed, scored and stared in, called Berlin Calling. He is the one I reckon going to be the talk of the festival. I will not be missing this for the life of me. Check out this scene from a festival in the movie.


Trentemoller - My mate, Aaron's choice of the line-up, I know his stuff and will be defo checking it out

Adam Beyer - Depends on my mood, if he is on on the Sunday Night, you can forget it.

Dave Clacke - The same as Beyer, it all depends on what night he is on. I'm very fragile on the last night.

Gavin Friday - 6 months ago, I would of rather stick pins in my eyes but I saw a very good documentary about Bono's best mate, Gavin Friday, and his band sounded a bit interesting, The Virgin Prunes. Like Sinead, only if I'm walking by

If you ask me, I think a few more big acts need to be added over the next couple of months, not massive acts but if they want people to buy tickets worth 250 yoyos, well, you got to entice them more. At the end of the day, I couldn't give a toss about the line-up; I very rarely see any of the acts anyway. I spent most of my weekend last year in the Movember Tent, listening to the likes of Russell and Aido and Chewy so not to worry Electric Picnic, I don't mind. What it has done is excite the balls off me. I can’t wait for the fucking Picnic! I can’t wait for the fucking summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment