Thursday, March 25, 2010

Limerick can drink, and we cant, well, we can just not in a pub, Doesn't matter, we're still gonna beat them


I fucking love the shite that goes on in this country; it makes my laugh out load, the whole lot of it. I just saw the report there on the nine o clock news about the Limerick publicans and, because of the special event that is the Munster - Leinster match which is played in Thurmond Park on Good Friday, they are all able to open the doors to their pubs and serve up pints by the dozen.

Is anyone else scratching there heads here? So if I'm a publican in Dublin, can I open my doors at the same time or is it just to people in Limerick and is it Limerick City or County or what . . . . . or did I have to be one of the publicans in court, desperately trying to change the law and if I wasn’t one of those chuns, I suppose I’m not allowed. I think a few more gargles is the last thing the city of Limerick needs. If I own a pub literally on the border of Limerick and Tipp or Limerick and Cork, like if I had a pub in Newport, would I loose my licence if I opened my doors at the same time as someone in Limerick, only 5 miles down the road.

Why is that law even in place now anyway, surely this little special events loop hole that the fine publicans of Limerick have found has put the whole Catholic, No drinking on Good Friday law into disrepute, wouldn’t you say. A priest was in the report saying that people still have the choice not to drink. Okay, shouldn’t that be the way all the time, like, for everyone and what makes this Munster - Leinster game any different to any event happening that day, it's not like the mass majority of the population will be watching it. The majority of the population of Ireland won't have any interest in the match in the slightest. If it was another event, I wonder, would they let people open up, a bigger event.

Also have we all forgotten that it won't be just the places around Thurmond Park that will be interested in watching the match in a pub that day, it isn't Limerick playing in this game, it's Munster, and if my ordinary level geography serves me correctly, which I barely passed by the way, I believe there are 5 other counties in Munster and one of those counties has nearly three times the population of Limerick. They obviously want fuck all to do with the match, do they?

And lest we forget the other team in the game, Leinster, the better team, the team that kicked the shit out of those mullahs last year in the Heineken Cup. The team that are going to spank all their little bottoms blue on Good Friday. What are we supposed to do? Are we supposed to do the same thing as every other person in Ireland does and stock up on as much gargle as we can, like as if the pubs were going to be closed for a year because we will, we have been doing it for years, we are going to drink that day, let me tell you. I just have only one question and it is a very basic question.

Why are some people in Ireland aloud to drink in pubs on Good Friday and others aren't? I’m trying to get my head around that question. I understand that it is an important, special day but not only in Limerick. Ireland have two of the finest rugby teams in Europe and they are to go head to head this Good Friday and the publicans of Limerick are granted the option to open their pubs doors, yet everywhere else in Ireland, can't. I'm sorry but the word hypocrisy is springing to mind.

I have always thought the idea of closing the pubs on Good Friday was the most ridicules joke in the world, not that I'm an alcho or anything. In fact, to tell you the truth, I rarely go to the pub these days, I much prefer drinks in a gaf, it's cheaper, there are good tunes and there are fewer cunts you have to talk to.

The law was put in place in a time when the Catholic Church had influence in this country, when it had sense of dignity, when it had credibility, now, no one gives a fuck, and even if we did give a fuck about it, aren't we living in a more integrated society where not everyone you meet in Ireland is a Catholic and as a society aren't we supposed to take that on board to make the whole integration thing work.

In the end, I just think it is so fucking funny, I don't really give a shit about any of it; I know where I’ll be watching the match. With a load of mates, in a gaf, swilling cans. Pubs open or pubs closed, either way that’s where I’ll be. I just think it is so fucking Irish. More and more, as the days go by, as I live out my years here, this place just makes me stand there and shake my head with an extremely confused look on my face, trying to workout if I'm actually in an episode of Father Ted or not. Seriously, I'm not having a laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment