Friday, August 6, 2010

Roy For Prez


Let a new day begin for Liverpool Football Club – a new era, a new season, a new manager and hopefully new owners. Owners with a bit of cash and something tells me they’re a club that won’t be loosing the plot, they won’t become a Man City. The fan base just wouldn’t stand for it, there would be absolute up roar.

Torres and Gerard have committed themselves for the foreseeable future. That is some whopper boost for that team’s morale, loosing one of them would have probably unsettled the other and sent Liverpool into mid table misery for the next decade. They were both essential to this next campaign.

Aswell, it doesn’t look like anyone is in too much of a rush to sign Mascharano either, with that 30 million pound price tag around his neck, I don’t know, we are hearing about these connections with Inter but I have a weird feeling that he will be there at Liverpool for the first half of the season at least, and if he goes, ‘So! Who gives a shit?’ Liverpool would then have plenty of cash to then go off and replace him with a more youthful, cheaper, promising defensive midfielder like Lee Cattermole or Nigel De Jong or Tom Huddlestone and if I’m not mistaken they are looking at Christian Poulsen from Juva.

One big loss for Liverpool, I thought, was Yossi Benayoun who was a top player for the club, the only player in my opinion on Liverpool’s bench whoever came off it and made any impact. But if you were to have asked me six months ago whether I would prefair him or Joe Cole on my team, I would of gone Joe Cole every single time. Joe Cole is the ultimate impact player and he will also give them another option when it comes to the formation, it will give Gerard the opportunity to drop back into midfield. I thought Liverpool relied way too much on the Torres / Gerard strike force last year which was one of the main reasons for their season being so unsuccessful. It was their only option. This season it will be different.

They have also made some other very interesting signings. First off, the big Serbian forward, Milan Jovanovic who had good World Cup and what I have seen of him in the 2 legs against that Macadonian team was very impressive; he is very strong and again gives them a completely new option up front. Last season, Liverpool’s attack was all over the gaf and, in my opinion, it has been that way ever since they got rid of Robbie Keane. Yes, they had Torres, one of the best strikers in the world, partnering up with one of the best players the premiership has ever seen, Stevie G but that was about it. You left any sort of support or cover on the bench in the hands of a poor unfortunate 18 year old, Ngog, who in my opinion did alright considering that he’s only a downy chizzler. I’m not even going to bring up Babel, he needs to go asap. Pronto. I just don’t like that player at all. Every time he stood off the bench last season, when Liverpool desperately needed a goal. They would be a goal down against Birmingham at home and up he would stand. I just knew every time, he would go on and do fuck all. That is all different this year. Torres, Jovanovic, Gerrard, Cole, even Ngog, who I think will start to mature after being broken in so harshly last season and lets not forget Dirk but what he has been doing on the wing has been brilliant and is where he belongs, I reckon.

Other signing that I think have been interesting are the signings of 18 years old, Danny Wilson and 17 year old, Jonjo Shelvey (who does not look 17) who are both very well established at their young age. Danny Wilson pretty much played every game for Rangers last season, winning the Scottish treble and also featuring in the Champions League, I think he holds the record for the youngest player ever to feature in the Champions League. Jonjo Shelvey, the youngest player and goal scorer in Charlton Athletic’s history. Last season at the age of 16, he scored 7 goals for Charlton from the central midfield position; I will be looking forward to seeing him grow into the quality player everyone is saying he will become. They will both probably only feature in the FA Cup and Carling Cup but good young cover.

There are some players that featured last season aswell that just had a bad season and with this new era, I think the pressure will now be off and they will surprise people, they will raise their game. Number 1 on the list is Alberto Aquilani. Last season must have been hell for that chunfella. What did they spend? 19 million pounds. For Liverpool to be spending that kind of money, the fans want to see it on the pitch. The bloke, for the first half of the season, just couldn’t shake that injury and for the second, he just couldn’t get into his stride but in a couple of games towards the end of the season, he started to show promise

I also hope Glen Johnson has a good season, I really think in order to do that Roy needs to buy on the right side defence. That guy, Kelly, I don’t know if he is strong enough to contest Johnson’s position. I don’t know who you’d get. Luke Young would be sweet.

But the one man that is going to bring real change to Liverpool is Roy Hodgeson. Their best signing of the summer. The club needed someone like Roy Hodgeson. The team needed it, the club needed it, the fans needed it. What an ideal man to steady the ship. Roy will build a solid team and he will let the players express themselves, something they weren’t allowed do under Benitez. He will hold a personnel relationship with each and every player as aside to treating them like robots. Roy was the best man for that job, there is no doubt in my mind.

I really think Liverpool are going to surprise people this year, I think they are going to be up there and contesting for the title and at 16 / 1 to win the premier league on BetFred.com, lets just say, I know where I will be sticking my money this week. You are never gonna get Liverpool at a better price. You stick a €20 on that; you will take home €320 if it comes in. You stick €50 on it, you take home €800.

I don’t know about you but I can’t fucking wait for this season!

No comments:

Post a Comment