Saturday, February 25, 2012

I don't even know how to start this blog, the reason I feel I have to do this is because Cian always used to tell me to keep blogging. Every time I met him he would bring it up and tell me that it was good. He was one of the people that stands out in my head that constantly encouraged me to keep writing this thing. I need to honor this man, I need to pay tribute to this lovely, lovely bloke that, not only was one the soundest divils this city had to offer, but one of the most interesting, honest lads you were ever likely to meet.

I remember hanging out with my mates from school, Rugs and Joe, at the Red Box on a complete random one, and they were starting to hang around with this new crew, this new very sophisticated crew. You had guys like Chewy and Freeze, who were so chiseled and manly for their age, I probably would of rode the pair of them myself if I was given the opportunity. You then had the girls like Grace, Katey, Rachel and Rossa, 4 girls I fancied as soon as I saw them, all at the same time, if thats possible. And then I distinctly remember this wise cracking cheeky pisstaker named Cian. We were at 2 Many DJ, around the time when that Dolly Parton mix came out, and I remember feeling I was well settled and welcomed by with these new mad heads that were now in my life. The night soon went from the Red Box to us finding ourselves at a party on Howth Beach, around the back of Howth. We had to hike for what seemed like an hour, it was probably about ten minutes, but you get the idea, it was hard work at that stage of the evening . . . or morning. I remember myself, Joe and Cian stumbling upon a massive heli-pad, like, as in a massive platform for a fucking helicopter. We approached and we scratched our heads thinking 'what craic can we get out of this thing?', when we found there was very little crack we could get out of a standard heli-pad, we sat, had a smoke and then we continued on our way, continued on the journey to what was to be one of the most amazing parties of my young life. The music was starting to become within hearing distance, you could hear the bass from over a sand dune and to say we were having the crack at this stage would be the most outrageous understatement of the decade. . . . . no, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say – Century! On that beach we remained for the foreseeable 8 hours and we danced our asses off. Billy Scurry dropped Blue Monday by New Order and we threw our hands up in the air and waved them around like we just don't care.

Shuffling on about 2 or 3 years, - Backlash in Wax, probably the best night to ever land on this city, like a bat out of hell it was. There were a number of heads that were there every Thursday without fail, it was like Cheers. As you were walking in, in your head, you would hear – 'Making your way in the world today takes everything you got, makin way for all your worries sure could help a lot, wouldn't you like to get away, WHERE EVERYBODY KNOWS YOUR NAME!' and so on. Cian Hallinan was a part of the furniture down in that kip and that Thursday night, for me, was the start of my whole buzz with everyone I know and love to this day. It was the best crack I ever had and will ever have. He was always there right through that whole period, a friendly face whenever you were out for a smoke or a rest or whatever the case may have been.

From then on Cian was there, side by side with his partner in crime, Joe. Ready for some serious witty banter at the drop of a hat, ready to rip into some well deserved slagging, back and forth. Ready to dissect a film, a tune, a TV show, a pointless celebrity – you name it, it was getting ridiculed. My last memory with Cian was me, him and Joe and few others at Chewy and Zonja's birthday and at one stage, we were trying to get under this fan because the place was so boiling in the basement of the South William. We eventually got the worst earaches known to man from that fan.

Laughing out load in the kitchens of parties is my main memory of the bloke. He was a sweet, sweet fella to know and I am completely shocked and saddened at his passing yesterday. I never understood how important my mates were until today, I love you all and if ever you need a chat about anything, just call me. Please

Anyway, to finish this up, I once worked very close with Ronnie Drew and I heard him sing these words before and I believe it is quite appropriate now

Of all the money that ere I had, I spent it in good company.
And of all the harm that ere I've done, alas was done to none but me.
And all I've done for want of wit, to memory now I cannot recall.
So fill me to the parting glass. Goodnight and joy be with you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment